Saturday 1 September 2018

THE GIVER OF JOY THROUGH DHAMMA

Portrait of the Late Chief
He was just like a comet, leaving trails of stardust that would fall to Earth despite being absent, creating beautiful showers decorating the night skies. He had left a great legacy, a legacy for us to appreciate, learn and practise. His legacy has been inspiring thousands, maybe millions. He is non other than the late "Chief Reverend", Datuk K. Sri Dhammananda Nāyaka Mahā Thera, the one who experience joy through Dhamma.

I've never met this unique monk before, but through his interesting books, insightful yet humorous recorded talks, and the impactful sharing from his close Dhammaduta devotees, I believe he was indeed a great teacher that had gave joy through his Dhamma teachings. I first approached Dhamma through his masterpiece, "What Buddhists Believe", which conditioned myself to start paying interests in the Dhamma learnings. His recorded talks, which are available in youtube, were inspiring and insightful, yet humorous. In one of his talk about the "Three Basic Principles in Human Life", he mentioned that according to his observation, Chinese are the cleverest people in this world, as they are the only people who open a bank in hell. That was one of the impactful and insightful remark that had brought me to ponder on about the paper-burning culture.
What Buddhists Believe by Late Chief
Of course, there are other talks of his that I've felt inspired with. Yesterday, I went to an exhibition organised by the Buddhist Gem Fellowship in Buddhist Maha Vihara in tribute to the Late Chief. While looking at the pictures of the Late Chief, a great sense of gratitude automatically arose within me. What touches the most in the exhibition is the dedication written by the Late Chief's Muslim godson, Dr Amir Farid. It was written that Dr Amir had always find Late Chief when he's still around and even addressed the Late Chief as "Daddy". The Late Chief even had been mindful of Dr Amir's solat practise and had offered his private room to Dr Amir for his prayers during his solat periods. That's how considerate and compassionate the Late Chief was. I almost teared viewing on the funeral photos of the Late Chief. I could feel that it was indeed a great loss to the Buddhist community, especially those who are close to the Late Chief.




Bro. Datuk Victor Wee explaining on the Late Chief's homeland
Late Chief's room which was well-preserved and displayed

Ven. Mahinda joyfully looking at the Late Chief's cartoon stature



















































He has passed away since 12 years ago, when I was just Form 3 preparing for my PMR that year. Although I have never see him nor associate with him, but the legacy that he left had impacted me a lot. I really experienced Dhamma joy through his legacy. Thank you, Late Chief for being an indirect teacher to me. I aspire to put effort in encouraging Buddhist education and continue on the upward path until the liberation from afflictions is attained. Vayadhāmma sankhara, apamadena sampādetha!


The Future of Buddhism in Malaysia by the Late Chief Rev. K. Sri Dhammananda

Thank you, Late Chief...

No comments:

Post a Comment